The next bugfix release is out.
I have worked almost non-stop since the last release to get on top of the audio issues. Finally, I implemented a caching scheme that vastly reduced the number of allocated Android AudioTracks.
This means all “Error saving game” messages should be gone. Audio should not go quiet. Game should not crash due to AudioTrack memory leak.
The caching is not easy, because reusing AudioTracks is a minefield. With mines in different locations depending on Android version. I tested it on 2.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.4 and 5.0. Unfortunately it seems that I upgraded all my 4.3 devices to 4.4 so I couldn’t test that version.
On some 2.3 devices (like 1st gen Kindle Fire) I was unable to reliably reuse AudioTracks, therefore on these (hopefully rare these days) devices you may encounter audio corruption.
Here’s the full changelist for 1.27.3:
- Hopefully fixed “error saving game” messages, audio going quiet and audio-related crashes on pre-4.4 devices
- Deep water pools no longer make gurgling sound
- Water gurgling is quieter
- Wet squelching footsteps sound fades out yet more quickly
- Tweaked some other audio parameters
- Fixed immersive mode (fullscreen) getting disabled after using software keyboard
Please download and tell me what’s happening with audio in 1.27.3.
When you report bugs or send screenshots, please do not forget to state your device and Android version!
This is not the last bugfix release, there’s still the graphics corruption I need to investigate.