The survival mechanics I’ve been working on for some time are roughly done, they just need some tweaking. Here’s a video showing how stamina (which is one of them) works:
This will only be active in Challenging, Cruel and Adventure modes. Harmless and (obviously) Creative stay as they are.
What do you think? Is it not too annoying?
If you haven’t read my earlier posts about survival: the reason for stamina is so that it’s not so easy to run away from the animals that chase you. It also adds more player immersion (pun intended) and makes the world more dangerous, which is badly needed.
Right now I am working on something new that will make animals a lot more dangerous and realistic than they are now. If it works out, together with stamina, hunger and sleep, 1.22 will really flesh out the survival aspect. I’ll tell you more in another post.
Thank you for all the magnet recipes. I still haven’t decided which one to use. Especially the lodestone concept is cool – never thought of that! But I don’t want to add a new mineral just for the sake of one or two items. Unless I come across an idea on how to use lodestone sensibly somewhere else, I’ll sadly have to skip it. Ideas welcome.
At the moment I think the recipe should be just that:
In the meantime daverave40 published 19th episode of his Let’s Play Survivalcraft series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zCrtziB0II
Here’s some numbers to help you better judge the stamina system:
- You can run about 300 blocks until you start to pant and slow down (on level ground)
- After about 400 blocks you’re fully exhausted and move at 50% speed
- About 40 jumps in quick succession will get you exhausted and unable to jump any more
- It takes just 3 seconds of rest to restore you to full performance
- About 10 seconds more of rest will make you fully rested (i.e. able to run another 400 blocks / make 40 jumps).
- Walking on stairs/ladders counts like moving on flat terrain.